~This edition saw record participation from 12000+ students from 28 premier B-Schools across the country~
~Team Steelers from IIM Kashipur emerged as Steel-a-thon Season X Champion~
~Team Steelers from IIM Kashipur emerged as the winner and Team Kyoto from IIM Raipur secured the
Runner-up position in Business Track~
~Team Alloymora from XIM Bhubaneswar emerged as the winner and Team Wolverine from IIFT secured the Runner-up position in Value Chain Track~
~Team The Crows from IIM Ranchi emerged as the winner and Team Dream Steelers from XIM Bhubaneswar secured the Runner-up position in People Track~
National, September 28, 2023: Tata Steel announced the winners of the 10th edition of its flagship annual business challenge, Steel-a-thon. This competition, designed for premier B-Schools in India, offers students a unique opportunity to tackle real-life business challenges while receiving mentorship from Tata Steel’s Senior Leadership and Management.
Team Steelers from IIM Kashipur emerged as Steel-a-thon Season X Champion (Overall Season winner). Team Steelers from IIM Kashipur emerged as the winner and Team Kyoto from IIM Raipur secured the
Runner-up position in Business Track. Team Alloymora from XIM Bhubaneswar emerged as the winner and Team Wolverine from IIFT secured the Runner-up position in Value Chain Track. Team The Crows from IIM Ranchi emerged as the winner and Team Dream Steelers from XIM Bhubaneswar secured the Runner-up position in People Track.
The Steel-a-thon programme, now in its 10th year, witnessed an overwhelming response with participation from over 12,000 students hailing from 28 renowned B-Schools across the nation. This year, participating teams were presented with three distinct tracks, each centered around crucial business themes: “Xplore New Frontiers” for Growth Aspirations in the Business track, “Xcel For The Planet” for Sustainable Value Chain in Value Chain track, and “Xpand Your Horizons” for Employee Well-Being in People Management track.
Atrayee Sanyal, Vice President, Human Resource Management at Tata Steel, commented on the event: “Steel-a-thon has consistently demonstrated the remarkable talent and innovative thinking present in our nation’s B-Schools. We are genuinely delighted to witness the enthusiasm and fresh perspectives that these students bring to our real-world business challenges. Congratulations to all the winners!”
Peeyush Gupta, Vice President, Group Strategic Procurement & One Supply Chain, Tata Steel, added: “As we celebrate a decade of Steel-a-thon, we reflect on how this case competition has taken roots in the premier Institutes of the country and the students have engaged themselves in the evolving & relevant themes. We have been impressed by the quality of ideas and solutions developed to address the challenges that the companies face, year after year. This augurs well for the future managers as they prepare to explore the business landscape of the country and beyond.”
The competition commenced with 1615 teams submitting their executive summaries for the pre-finale. After rigorous evaluation, 82 teams progressed to the pre-finale round, and ultimately, only 16 teams secured their spot in the highly anticipated finale.
The finalists had the unique opportunity to present their innovative business case solutions to a distinguished jury, led by Peeyush Gupta, Vice President, Group Strategic Procurement & One Supply Chain, Tata Steel, Atrayee Sanyal, Vice President, Human Resource Management, Tata Steel, and S. Karthik Narayanan, Chief Marketing & Sales (TISCON Retail), Tata Steel.
In this year’s competition, the winning teams for each track received INR 2,50,000 in prize money, while the first runners-up were presented with cash prizes of INR 1,50,000. Both the winning teams and runners-up were also awarded Pre-Placement Offers (PPO) and certificates. The Season X Champion winner received an additional INR 1,00,000 in prize money. Furthermore, select students from the National Finalists received Pre-Placement Interview (PPI) opportunities, opening doors to potential career opportunities with Tata Steel.
About Tata Steel
- Tata Steel group is among the top global steel companies with an annual crude steel capacity of 35 million tonnes per annum.
- It is one of the world’s most geographically diversified steel producers, with operations and commercial presence across the world.
- The group recorded a consolidated turnover of ~US$30.3 billion in the financial year ending March 31, 2023.
- A Great Place to Work-CertifiedTM organisation, Tata Steel Limited, together with its subsidiaries, associates, and joint ventures, is spread across five continents with an employee base of over 77,000.
- Tata Steel has announced its major sustainability objectives including Net Zero Carbon by 2045, Net Zero Water consumption by 2030, improving Ambient Air Quality and No Net loss in Biodiversity by 2030.
- The Company has been on a multi-year digital-enabled business transformation journey intending to be the leader in ‘Digital Steel making by 2025’. The Company has received the World Economic Forum’s Global Lighthouse recognition for its Jamshedpur, Kalinganagar and IJmuiden Plants.
- Tata Steel aspires to have 25% diverse workforce by 2025. The Company has been recognised with the World Economic Forum’s Global Diversity Equity & Inclusion Lighthouse 2023.
- The Company has been a part of the DJSI Emerging Markets Index since 2012 and has been consistently ranked amongst top 10 steel companies in the DJSI Corporate Sustainability Assessment since 2016.
- Tata Steel’s Jamshedpur Plant is India’s first site to receive ResponsibleSteelTM Certification.
- Received Prime Minister’s Trophy for the best performing integrated steel plant for 2016-17, 2023 Steel Sustainability Champion recognition from worldsteel for six years in a row, 2022 ‘Supplier Engagement Leader’ recognition by CDP, Top performer in Iron and Steel sector in Dun & Bradstreet’s India’s top 500 companies 2022, Ranked as the 2023 most valuable Mining and Metals brand in India by Brand Finance, and ‘Most Ethical Company’ award 2021 from Ethisphere Institute.
- Received 2022 ERM Global Award of Distinction, ‘Masters of Risk’ – Metals & Mining Sector recognition at The India Risk Management Awards for the seventh consecutive year, and Award for Excellence in Financial Reporting FY20 from ICAI, among several others.